Photo: Petr Krejci, courtesy of AHEC
Sir John Sorrell, chairman of London Design Festival, called on designers of international standing to collaborate with London’s leading cultural institutions on the creation of a “legacy piece” out of American red oak. The resulting wooden objects couldn’t be more different, yet all have one thing in common – a sustainable design approach that explores handed down forms to give rise to projects that connect several generations.
10 designer pieces in wood: bridges from the past to the future
The designers and commissioners are:
- Fugu von Jasper Morrison with Tristram Hunt, Director of the Victoria & Albert Museum
- Beehave: Marlène Huissoud with Sir Ian Blatchford, Director of the Science Museum Group
- Serpentine Postbox: Nina Tolstrup and Jack Mama (Studiomama) with Hans Ulrich Obrist, Artistic Director of Serpentine Galleries
- Duo: Terence Woodgate with Alex Beard, CEO of the Royal Opera House
- Writer’s Collection: Sebastian Cox with Amanda Nevill, CEO of the British Film Institute
- Musical Shelf: Martina Camper with Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director of the English National Ballet
- Valet: Max Lamb with Maria Balshaw, Director of Tate Britain
- Wooden Hinge: Yael Mer and Shay Alkalay (Raw Edges) with Iwona Blazwick, Director of Whitechapel Art Gallery
- Au: Tomoko Azumi with AuKwame Kwei-Armah, Artistic Director of the Young Vic Theatre
- The Nest: Juliet Quintero with Sir John Sorrell, Chairman of London Design Festival
The project is a collaboration between the American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC), whose European Director, David Venables, initiated the cooperation, and Benchmark Furniture, whose Berkshire workshop made all 10 of the objects. “AHEC is always pushing the boundaries for American hardwoods. We wanted a project that celebrates American red oak to demonstrate not just how beautiful it is for furniture making, but also to test the performance and quality of this abundant wood,” says David Venables. “It’s a fabulous project with incredible designers.”
The exhibition is a cooperation between Koelnmesse GmbH and the American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC). Visitors to imm cologne 2020 will find it near the south entrance, in the passage between halls 3 and 11.